When Shanon applied a silver toner, she didn't know it would burn off most of her hair. She applied it only for 10 inutes and was devastated with the results. After this incident, she couldn't leave her house without a wig for around three months.
A young mother of two was left in a shock when her two feet of hair burnt off after applying a silver toner. Shanon, 23, only applied it for ten minutes and decided to wash it off when her scalp started to itch. As she was washing it, massive clumps of hair started falling off her head and into the bath. Shanon was so traumatized that she didn't leave her house without a wig for three months.
Shanon claimed she didn't leave the bathroom for three days as she was too traumatized by this incident. Shanon Kent, 23, is a mother to a two-year-old daughter and eight-month-old son. She bought the silver toner in £12 to make her hair look more vibrant. She applied it only for 10 minutes though the recommended time was 30 minutes according to the leaflet within the box. After a few minutes, her scalp started to itch and massive clumps of hair started falling off her head and into the bath.
Shanon was traumatized and couldn't leave her house without wearing a wig for three months. She bought the toner from Superdrug who is not taking any responsibility.
Shanon said: "I only had it on for ten minutes, and then my scalp started to get really sore, like I'd been scratching it too much.
"The smell was so strong. I couldn't breathe.
"I started washing it out, and all these clumps were coming out, so I tried to brush it a bit and it just kept coming out.
"It's absolutely not acceptable. They're not taking any responsibility, they're making it seem like its my fault.
"I suffer massively with depression and anxiety, and this really set me back. I don't think I left the bathroom for three days."
Shanon also applied the toner two years ago and didn't face any issue at that time.
She said: "I did a patch test and an allergy test first, and then I applied the toner."
She received an email from Superdrug's Customer Service Team two days later. She was told that they were investigating and was asked to fill out a questionnaire.
Then after 6 weeks, the company offered her only £5 back as a refund for the Superdrug product and also the £30 worth of points on her Superdrug card. Not only that, she herself had to pay the money to send the hair toner back so Superdrug could run tests on it. In an email sent by the company on December 31, 2019, it was written that the product had been fully tested, "and not a single participant showed a reaction".
According to reports, the email read: "I know that this is not the outcome you were expecting, however at this stage we are unable to accept any responsibility for your experience with our product.
"As a gesture of goodwill, we would like to offer £30 worth of points to your Health & Beauty card."
She said; "This is absolutely not acceptable now."
"The hair dye was £12 but I'm getting refunded £5 of it. The £30 minus £16 haircut and £4 postage to return the product, that leaves me with £3 leftover... obviously not."
"Even now it's grown out a bit, I have to spend about four hours styling it to try and sort out the mess I was left with."
"That's just not practical when I have two young children."
"I have to be really careful now with what shampoo I put on my head. I still have a really sore scalp now - whereas before this, I'd never had any problem with a dry scalp."
"It's still really sore for me now. I had to go to the doctors and get steroid cream for my scalp. Even now, my hair has only grown to a bob at the moment."
"I wouldn't go back to Superdrug again, but all they've given me is £30 worth of points on my card that I'm not going to use."
A spokesperson for Superdrug said: "We were aware that the customer in question was not satisfied with a hair product she had purchased."
However, we investigated this with our supplier, who confirmed that there was no irregularity found with the product batch"
"We were sorry to hear about the trauma experienced by the customer and therefore offered a good will gesture in light of this."
"We always recommend that customers follow the instructions for use provided on pack, including carrying out a strand test to check for any reaction prior to use."